of my favorite things. Go ahead. Sing it. You know you want to.
This week has been a rough one. Not just one thing in particular. But a lot of things in particular.
This afternoon I decided I was going to think about some 'happy things'. Not big things like world peace and a disease free world. Clearly these are happy things. I'm talking things that set your inner nerd off. So I made a list. And what I came up with registered a 13 on the 1-10 inner nerd scale. It was so embarrassing I had to share it. Mostly in hopes that you would gain some insightful gift ideas for me in the future :). But also so you might share your favorite things with me, too.
In no particular order...
ROY G BIV
Take your brain back to physical science class and recall the acronym for the hues of the visible spectrum. Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. It's not the acronym itself that I love, but it's the look of it. Like this:
And this...
A little mixed up, but at least the gang's all here...
The photographs above are from a favorite blogger of mine. Check her out HERE. She hearts ol' ROY, too.
Those pictures might have been swiped, but, sadly, this one comes from my very own closet:
UNC
My alma mater. The friends I met there. The school colors. The basketball team. Yes, even this year. I love my school. I wish I was closer to it. It smells good there. It's pretty. And old. And it's where I met my wonderful husband. Just seeing this makes me happy....
And this...
Oh, what the heck...
SCHOOL SUPPLIES
I know. The nerd richter scale is going bonkers now. But as much as I might try to deny it (which is not much), I love pens, papers, and notebooks.
Can't say where the school supplies thing comes from. Maybe that I wish I could teach something. But I think I'd be a really bad teacher. Maybe I could just be a professional school supply shopper/organizer into ROY G BIV pattern professional. One can dream.
THRIFTING
This is a new thing for me, which made me hesitant to add it to the list, but this afternoon it made me happy to think about, so here it is. I've bought a few things in thrift stores before. Last Fall, this made it's way into our garage...
It was $10. The people at the thrift store literally laughed at me when I asked how much it was. It was being used as a junk container. Junk holding other junk. But slap some paint on it and add some curtains (Thanks, Leslie!), and VOILA....
Still kind of junky. But now it's holding my kids' junk and keeping it off of the floor.
And it was $10.
Yesterday I ventured into purchasing clothes from a thrift store. This was a 1st for me. In my humble opinion, I made out like a bandit.
5 kids shirts (2 Polo brand, 2 T shirts, 1 Gap polo)
1 J Crew dress
1 BCBG sweater
1 Gap shirt
2 skirts (1 Express, 1 Gap)
1 Boys long sleeve Polo shirt (big enough for me:)
1 pair of Abercrombie cords
= $54!!!
Turns out I'm not a brand girl, except when it comes to thrifting:)
I do realize there's a fine line between trying to save a few bucks and being a hoarder. I vow to never find myself on TLC clinging to a basement full of 'good deals'.
BLOG STALKING
Those are just a few. But my real favorites are my friends, but I didn't have their permission to post their links.
TIMEX WATCHES
The buttons. The options I will never use. The alarm sounds and Indiglo feature.
SMALL DESSERTS
Including, but not limited to:
cake pops...(my new fave) read about them HERE
cupcakes. a staple.
and another new favorite: chocolate covered oreos. Yum.
Thanks, Jennie!
THESE GUYS
I will forever burn this image in all four ventricles.
FUN FABRICS
Not to sew with. Ew. Just to look at.
Again.
Lovely.
LOVE this...
Just kidding. That's super creepy. Seriously, what would you make with that?
SENTENCE FRAGMENTS
Reading fragments. Writing in fragments. See? Sorry grammar freaks.
MEDICAL JOURNALS AND NURSING TEXTBOOKS
Perhaps the most useful from the entire list. Here's the current favorite:
After a long day, nothing soothes the soul like reading about eczema.
So this was a waste of time for you, right? This is the point that you realize I don't have the clout that Oprah does, and I can't give every reader a free Wong's Essentials of Pediatric Nursing book. I'm so sorry. But pay me back with posting about your own favorites! I'd love to know.
Don't think too hard about it. Just put what comes to mind on a particular day when you're dealing with particularly heavy things. It might lighten the load a little.














5 comments:
Great post! I'm on board with several of your picks, although it would take me 19 days to come up with my own list. I'm that girl who wants to like everything. But... school supplies, fun fabrics, cupcakes, UNC, and thrifting (if no children are with me) --- yes!! By the way, I think I recognized some of those fabrics. (Amy.... Ah! I can't remember her name.) You win Genius of the Week with the new (old) cabinet. So cool.
Cake pops, I just made some last week for my Red and Pink party, they were so easy and a huge hit! You could totally whip some up.
I'm on board with doing a list, be on the lookout for when I actually finish it though, haha
My favorite thing... having both girls home, asleep on the sofa, me in the kitchen and Russell outside working on the boat.. it just doesn't get any better than that! Well, maybe a cute kid (like Finn) standing in the kitchen with their "cheeks" hanging out. My girls were pretty much naked all that time! That's the cutest thing!
What are cake pops and how do you make them? I want some!!!
Erin, loved the pics. In no particular order: my family, Clemson football, an orange- faced Tag Heuer watch, author FW Boreham, and now I want to know what these cake pops are!
Post a Comment