Sunday, November 30, 2008

Giving Thanks the Munchkin Way

Thanksgiving was such a wonderful holiday for us this year. Besides all of the fun with family, friends and food, we had/have so much to be thankful for!

Remember the blog promise I made to teach the kids about Thanksgiving? Well...I can't say that I accomplished it since Jack still refers to the Mayflower as the "May Boat", but we gave it a wholehearted effort. On Wednesday, we threw a Kid's Thanksgiving Feast. A lot of our friends were able to come, and we had the best time!

Here are the children at their peanut sized tables and chairs on our back patio. The weather was a little chilly, but they hung in there. Jen is blitzing it through the Thanksgiving story. Leslie brought a great Thanksgiving book that was on the kid's level. Religious freedoms isn't exactly an understood topic at three, ya know?

Leslie, Eliza, JP and Kim posed in their awesome hats. Several of the party attenders came decked out in their respective pilgrim and Indian clothes. They were so cute! It had been years since I made a girl pilgrim hat. Probably because of all the emotional damage I suffered after being forced to wear a full out pilgrim costume to my Aunt Pat's house for Thanksgiving dinner when I was a child. Pilgrim costumes are only safe in numbers, NOT flying solo, which is what I had to do while holding a 40 pound platter of turkey with cameras flashing all over the place. If I ever lose it, please know it's because of that.

Enough of that....Here are Neely and Shelby listening to the story. It was amazing to see the girls sitting quietly at the table while most of the boys wandered around, chewed on their juice boxes or stared into the sky.

Carson made an adorable Indian headdress and sported it well.

After the hat making and story time, the moms served the kids their feast! We had turkey/cheese roll ups, mac n' cheese, peas, carrots, sweet potato casserole, grapes, pretzels, rolls and cupcakes! I didn't get a picture of the food because I was either trying to convince Jack that it was good, or I was stuffing my own face. Thank you, Moms, for bringing all of the awesome goodies!!! Here's JP enjoying his bread.

Here's Owen, Amy and Lucy. Jack was excited to see Owen at his house. They go to school together and after the party, Jack kept saying "Owen from school was here." Jack and Owen both opted for baseball hats over the headdresses.

Camden enjoyed some mac n' cheese (which was awesome, Jen!) with the gang. As smart as he is, I'm sure he went home and retold the Thanksgiving story to his parents.

Here are some of the busy boys ignoring their food and playing instead.

Do these boxes look familiar? They're the forts that were in our dining room since June. Thankfully this gave me a reason to get them one step closer to the dump. They easily converted into a Mayflower and a teepee. Tomorrow...the dump!

Finn gave the cornucopia cut out a try. Sadly, his head was too small. Which is a first.

Camden was part of the horn-o-plenty, too!

The kids got to make their own cornucopia treats to take home. As always, I prepared too much food, so we've been eating our share of chocolate chips, peanuts, raisins and marshmallows. The woes of over preparing.

So that was our kid style Thanksgiving. It was so much fun for me to look around our home and see all of these amazing friends of ours, none of which I even knew five short years ago. We are so thankful for all of you.


One more thing we're thankful for: make up remover! Jack has witnessed me putting on my make up one time too many. This is mascara art. I'm not sure if I should be proud or ashamed that he knew where it was supposed to go.

8 comments:

kmn said...

The party was so much fun! When can we see the picture of you in the pilgrim outfit :)

Kimberly

The Gardners said...

When these kids reach kindergarten, their teachers will be impressed! Not a single student in my class was familiar with the Thanksgiving story. I'd say "May Boat" is excellent for a 3 year old considering my 5 & 6 year olds think the Pilgrims landed on "Plumber Rock!"

Courtney said...

I love your take home cornocopia idea!!!! I'm gonna have to remember that one for next year!!!

Amy said...

so much fun!!! thanks for having us.
and i love the picture of mascara jack

Leslie said...

We had a blast ... thanks! Where is the picture of you with the turkey cupcakes? :) Many thanks!

lowcountrydogleah said...

Wow! You HHI moms raised the bar on holiday creativity.

So funny you mention the busy boys. Thomas is turning into one already...at five months! He won't sit still anymore! There's only more of that to come I guess. :-)

Shannon said...

You are so much fun!! and so dang creative .. please tell me when i'll have enough brain cells with 2 children to plan a party like that??! probably never knowing my skills. I wished we lived closer so we could have come!! We were good to just assoicate Turkeys and Thanksgiving this year, ha!

Chris and Melissa Beahm said...

What a cute idea! The pics are awesome!