Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Mohawks and Waffles

This past week marked the end to our summertime schedule. School already started for Jack, CBS starts tomorrow, and MOPS starts next week. It's about to get nuts at the Ussery household, but I think we're all up for the challenge. Our home has been abuzz the last few days while John was off of work. We've all been thrilled to spend time with him. The boys both got haircuts today, and Jack continues to say the strangest and funniest things.


Don't worry. Jack's hair is not cut into a mohawk. Rather, it's just styled into a mohawk. Danielle, the boys fabulous hair stylist, cut Jack's hair in such a big kid way, but she added some fun for him by punking it out a bit with some 'product'. John and I thought he'd like it better than he did. He kept asking for us to take his hair off, which he didn't understand couldn't happen without some serious damage being done.

And here's our almost one year old who looks suddenly three. After three people thought Finn was a girl, we decided it was time for a haircut. Now there's no mistaking him for a chick. He's such a little dude.

Here's the backside of his new do.

Jack loves waffles, so I surprised him by making some for breakfast on Saturday. He used to be satisfied with frozen Eggos, but now that he's had the real deal, he'll say "NO MOM!!!! Get the waffle maker" whenever I try to serve Eggos for breakfast anymore.

Jack has started giving us the thumb's up sign. I'm guessing he's learned it at preschool, but we'll never know because he tells us nothing about preschool other than "I eat snacks." He's surely his mother's son. Not from the lack of talking (obviously) but more for the love of snacks!

When I bought this water sprinkler ball thing on the summer clearance aisle at KB Toys, I pictured the boys running and laughing through the shooting water with a little Beach Boys playing in the background. Well, no. Jack karate chopped the water the entire time it was on, and Finn stood beside the 4Runner and banged his hands on the side of it. So much for toys!

At the rate Jack's feet grow, he may be wearing these shoes by next summer.

Teethy McTeetherson


Jack has learned the Pledge of Allegiance at school. Here's his typical speedy delivery that he likes to give...oh...and he has to stand on a chair to do it. Enjoy!


10 comments:

Erin Hall said...

give. me. a. break. That is not even real it is so cute. You and your make-believe family need to move here. MISS Y'ALL!!!

kudos to Jack for knowing the pledge..kudos to Finn for a great sense of humor!

The Story of Us said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Gardners said...

He knows the pledge better than my kids do! I'm so glad they teach it in preschool there! Our new principal has taken the pledge out of our daily routine. Miss you guys!

Chris and Melissa Beahm said...

sooooo cute!!!

Angelique said...

YAY! I found you! And Jack looks so big saying the pledge. He's sch a smart little man.

Finn can NOT almost be 1 :( His new haircut is super cute, tho! Why do these boys have to grow so fast???

Julie Wheatley said...

alert: i love the video! keep them coming. I could watch this all day. and it's fun to hear your voice too :)

Patrick said...

Hey you two,
I'm sitting here in the computer lab at Doulos, laughing out loud while reading your blog. Good work. Your boys are cute (John, by cute, I mean sufficiently manly for their age). Take care.

-Patrick

Trevor said...

Nice hairdo!! Now when kids meet Jack and call him a softy for living on a resort island and being scared of crickets, he can just say, "listen, punk, check out the mohawk. I OWN you."

And yes, more videos please.

Mama Lutz said...

I can't wait to get home and show this to Gabby. No, wait. I'm not sure I'm ready for her first crush. But would it be Jack or Finn?

I couldn't be Jack's preschool teacher, because I would just stare. He would think I was mad, but I'd just be astounded by his pure-tee awesomeness.

Anonymous said...

I finally just caught up on your blog! Three years old??? Mohawk??? (Awesome, by the way...)
I loved hearing their little voices on the video, too.
I'm sad I missed you last week when you were here. I hope it can happen again soon...