On Christmas Eve, we went to our church's Christmas service at 6. It was nice to go at night like we usually did at home. I wish I could say we came home to a yummy home cooked meal, but I'd be lying. Instead we came home and busted out the frozen pizzas. So much for starting our own fun traditions that we want to recreate each year. I was so preoccupied with actual Christmas Day, Santa excitement and my usual insanities, that I totally dropped the ball on Christmas Eve dinner. Sorry John. Jack, you're welcome. I know what a pizza fool you are.
One tradition that I attempted to start this year was the opening of Christmas PJs on Christmas Eve. When sharing what I thought was a novel idea to some of my friends, I learned that this must be pretty commonplace in terms of Christmas traditions. We don't mind copying! We'll see if the trend continues next year. Jack wasn't sure what to think about having footed pajamas. He's usually a barefoot kind of guy.
On Christmas morning we woke up to a dining room turned nothing room full of toys! Santa had apparently decided to ignore the most recent tantrums and came to our home anyway! Jack got so many cool new toys. He loved his remote control Jeep and mini Dirt Devil most of all. He's definitely a mix of his father and mother: half Jeep guy, half neat-freak.
Since we were flying it solo this year for Christmas, we decided to invite some of our friends over who were doing the same. Christmas night we hosted a Feliz Navidad party, complete with Mexican food and a pinata. Here's JP Reed getting into the Navidad spirit!
Jack, Shelby, Gracen and Ian enjoyed the toys while the adults enjoyed the food and conversation. It was quite the scene with a toy drum, xylophone and acordian all playing at once. All of the dads were about to lose their minds, but you could see the moms were used to it. Ah, the sounds of INSANITY!!!
And now...the PINATA!!!
The children loved pushing it around and hitting at it. Here Gracen is taking a swing. They all managed to escape without any injury. Once they caught wind that there was a load of candy in that thing, they went nutty.
Pratt won the "I demolished the pinata with multiple wrestling moves" award. Shelby keeps telling everyone how her Daddy 'broke the bunny'. SO funny. We're still picking up candy in the yard.
Not your most traditional Christmas, but fun and merry nonetheless. John, Jack, Finley and I wish you all a Merry Christmas and blessed New Year!
No comments:
Post a Comment