Tuesday, February 07, 2006

D-Day


This morning, I woke up remembering something I had recently told my father-in-law, Johnny. We were discussing UNC basketball, and I made the comment that, since Jack, I have not been "in the spirit" of basketball season like I normally am. Jack has put things in perspective. The usual arm flailing, referee name-calling, and pacing around the house doesn't come as naturally as they used to. I hated admitting that to anyone, because my love for UNC is something I have always prided myself in. Never a fair-weather fan. Never one to "boo" one of our players. But a true diehard. Those descriptions still hold firm, but motherhood has definitely softened me. EXCEPT FOR TODAY. Babies, I'm BACK, and my Tarheels are hosting the Dookies tonight. My heart is racing, my blood's boiling, my legs are doing the "I have to go to the bathroom" dance whenever I sit down. I'm on edge, and it's because the biggest NCAA BBall rivalry game is going down right in my very own living room tonight at 9pm. If you're a fan, you better be watching. If you attended UNC or Duke (as if any I invited any dookies to view our blogpage) and you opt to watch American Idol instead, then you have absolutely lost your mind. 9PM. JP/Raycom/ESPN. It's that important. In lieu of tonight's event, I've visited all of my anti-Duke websites, which comprises most of my "favorites" list, and found this enjoyable little picture of coach kwerouweaweriaqwyqoweurski. There was another picture I liked more of his face evolving into a rat face, but the image wouldn't work on the blog. The bikini will have to suffice.

John is fortunate enough to be out of town tonight. This will be my first solo viewing of a UNC/Duke game. It's probably best that way. Jack's got his UNC gear on as you can see. He's been kind of crazy this morning, too, and I LOVE IT!!! He lived for 9 months inside of me and celebrated the 2005 championship by being jostled all around my tummy. He had to have learned something during all of that, right?

I hope that anyone reading this is sharing in our excitement . "Our" meaning anyone who is a Tarheel fan. I'm typing the fastest I ever have in my life, probably won't be able to eat today, and plan to rip a couple of phonebooks in half in anticipation of the game. John and I are having a cell-phone pep rally in a few moments. Make sure you're doing something insane today as well. Just make sure it's not pulling for Duke.

1 comment:

Mama Lutz said...

Erin! I love your enthusiasm! I, too, have slacked off in my intensity since Gabrielle arrived. Night games are tough, because sleep is so important. BUT TONIGHT - Tonight I shall scream a tad for my Tarheels in honor of you! Love you!